|The 3HOUSE game of computer cracking|
|Icehouse stashes:||warning.png“” is no number.|
|Other equipment:||cloth bag|
|Setup time:||1 minute|
|Min. Playing time:||5 minutes|
|Max. Playing time:||10 minutes|
|Primary Mechanic:||Discovering codes underneath opaque pyramids|
|BGG Link:||Black Ice|
Black ICE is a Mastermind-like game by Andrew Looney. Two players take turns rolling 3 Treehouse dice and performing actions that correspond to the crests on the dice. The goal is to ultimately discover what color pawns are hiding under the three opaque queens. The full rules are at the Looney Labs site.
The game is noteworthy for several unique mechanics, specifically its use of opaque pyramids. The concept of hiding information under black, white, or grey pyramids has been long discussed, but few games actually make use of this possibility.
Black ICE (originally known as Secret Project 3H-1) was designed for the express purpose of being published in the 3HOUSE rules booklet. It was officially unveiled at Origins in July 2007 along with the release of 3HOUSE.
- Although originally designed for three Rainbow Treehouse sets, Black ICE can be made more complex by adding a fourth, or even a fifth set. The number of locks and the number of pyramids in each keychain are increased accordingly.
- Additional colors of codes can be added, with pyramids in the same quantities as the first four.
- The number of Treehouse dice can be changed. Two dice makes the game more challenging; one die makes it problematically slow. Adding dice makes the game faster, but it will collapse with more dice than keys.
- Black ICE Rules at Looney Labs
- Printable rules sheet
- Read Andy's article about creating the game
- Black ICE is listed on BoardGameGeek
- Joystiq reviews Black ICE and Treehouse
|Featured in 3HOUSE|
|Additional Mechanic||None +|
|BGG Link||Http://boardgamegeek.com/game/30583 Black Ice +|
|Description||The 3HOUSE game of computer cracking|
|Designer||Andrew Looney +|
|Max. Players||2 +|
|Max. Playing Time||10 minutes +|
|Min. Players||2 +|
|Min. Playing Time||5 minutes +|
|Name||Black ICE +|
|Other Equipment||cloth bag +|
|Primary Mechanic||Discovering codes underneath opaque pyramids +|
|Primary Theme||Computer hacking +|
|Random Chance||High +|
|Rules Complexity||Low +|
|Setup Time||1 minute +|
|Stashes||warning.png“” is no number.|
|Strategy Depth||Medium +|